As you are aware, several Canadian ports have established environmental incentive programs to reward “green vessels.” Two additional ports, the Port of Halifax and the Port of Quebec, have added such programs since CL 11275 in 2021. Below is an updated table of such programs.
The scope of these programs varies. However, each of these ports offers discounted harbour dues to vessels that meet certain environmental standards. Such standards include the use of “green technologies,” cleaner fuels, and/or certification under various ship environmental programs. This information can also be found on the member’s section of our website under the Environment tab.
2022 FINANCIAL INCENTIVES FOR “GREEN VESSELS” AT CANADIAN PORTS
|PORT||REBATES (ON HARBOUR DUES)||CRITERIA TO BE MET|
|Port of Halifax||$500 or $1,000
Based on ESI score
|For 2022: applies to container and RO-RO vessels only.
Rebate on harbour dues based on a vessel’s Environmental Ship Index (ESI) score.
· 20.00 – 49.99: $500 rebate
· 50.00 or higher: $1,000 rebate.
|Port of Montreal||10%
|Apply only to some vessels certified under the Green Award Program,
· Dry bulk and tanker (crude and oil product) vessels with deadweight ≥ 22 000 metric tonnes are eligible, and
· The port must be notified and a copy of the Green Award Certificate made available upon request.
See section 3(2) of the Port of Montreal’s Harbour Fees Tariffs (Notice B-1) for details
|Port of Prince Rupert||A vessel may qualify for one of three levels of rebates, depending on the vessel’s environmental performance:
· Tier 1: 10%
· Tier 2: 20%
· Tier 3: 50%
|A vessel may qualify for discounted harbour dues under one of the three tiers – based on:
See Green Wave Program for details.
|Port of Quebec||10% to 30%
|Rebate level is based on the highest certification level in either of two programs:
Green Marine: An average score of 4.5 or higher earns shipowners a 10% discount
RightShip: Based on a ship’s GHG rating:
· 30% discount for an A rating
· 20% discount for a B rating
· 10% discount for a C rating
See ECARGO program for details.
|Port of Sept Iles||10%
|Apply to ALL vessels certified under the Green Award Program:
· A copy of the Green Award Certificate MUST be sent to the Port Authority WITH the vessel (A6) declaration
· The Green Award Certificate must be valid during the entire stay of the vessel and submitted for each port call
See section 4(5) and Annex 1 of the Port of Sept Iles’ Harbour Dues Tariffs (Notice N-2) for details
|Port of Vancouver||A vessel may qualify for one of three levels of rebates, depending on the vessel’s environmental performance:
· Bronze: 23% ($0.074/GRT)
· Silver: 35% ($0.062/GRT)
· Gold: 47%
|A vessel may qualify for discounted harbour dues under one of the three categories (bronze, silver, gold) based on several criteria, including:
· Use of “cleaner fuels” (natural gas, biodiesel blend)
· Implementation of specific emission reduction and energy efficient technologies (above regulatory requirements)
· Implementation of “ship quieting technologies” (three propeller technologies)
· Participation in a ship environmental program: Environmental Ship Index, RightShip, Clean Shipping Index, Green Marine, Energy Efficiency Design Index, Green Award, and the Clean Cargo Working Group program.
· Environmental notations from ship classification societies (American Bureau of Shipping (ABS), Bureau Veritas (BV), Det Norske Veritas-Germanischer Lloyd (DNV-GL), Lloyd’s Register (LR), and Registro Italiano Navale (RINA).
Application can be made on a ship call basis or through an annual declaration
See EcoAction Program for details
For more information, please contact the undersigned.
Manager, Environmental and Regulatory Affairs