The Seaway has announced the opening dates for the 2022 navigation season in the Seaway Notice #1 issued on February 22, 2022. The opening of the 2022 navigation season is scheduled to commence on the following dates and times. Please note that these will be subject to weather and ice conditions:
- Welland Canal: March 24, 2022 – 0800 hrs (EST)
- Montreal / Lake Ontario Section: March 22, 2022 – 0800 hrs (EST)
- Sault Ste. Marie Locks and Canals: March 25, 2022
Montreal / Lake Ontario Section
- Maximum allowable draft: 80.0 dm
- To be increased to 80.8 dm for all vessels when the South Shore Canal is ice-free and water levels are favourable.
- Maximum allowable draft: 80.8 dm
- Will go into effect for all vessels from the beginning of the navigation season.
The Seaway have also announced proposed changes to their Practices and Procedures as outlined in the January 19th notice. The Seaway have indicated they are discontinuing their tie-up service for approach walls effective with the 2022 Navigation Season. The Federation is preparing comments requesting the SLSMC continue to provide the tie-up service as required.
Please direct any questions to the undersigned
Director, Marine Operations