Please note that we have made a number of updates to our CHECKLIST for arriving and departing crew members in light of new information that has been brought to our attention. More specifically, the updated checklist:
- Clarifies that the entry prohibition for individuals who have recently been in a high risk country for the Omicron variant only applies to crew members arriving by air (and NOT to crew members arriving on board a vessel).
- Confirms that crew members travelling to Canada are still exempt from any post-arrival testing requirements for Covid-19 (although these requirements are evolving quickly and could be subject to change).
- Provides additional instructions for completing the ArriveCan application prior to travelling to Canada, with a view to ensuring that crew members identify themselves as “exempt essential travellers” from the outset of their application.
- Clarifies that as “exempt essential travellers,” crew members are not required to quarantine or submit any reports after entering Canada, and should not receive any further e-mails or notifications to that effect from ArriveCan or the Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Highlights the need for departing seafarers to ensure they are aware of any entry restrictions in their country of destination, as these may impact their ability to board their outbound flight from Canada.
- Strongly recommends that all departing seafarers have a copy of Transport Canada’s Ship Safety Bulletin 19/2021 with them when travelling, as this may be used to provide clarification to airline personnel who are unaware of the most recent travel requirements as they relate to seafarers.
We will continue to make updates to the checklist as requirements evolve and advise members accordingly. In the meantime, members with questions on any of the above should contact the undersigned.